Build an enduring organization that helps our people and clients reach their full potential.
Simplifying IT with the right mix of people, systems, and technologies.
Our Core Values
Do the right thing
Hunger for growth
MEET THE WORKSMART TEAM
President & CEO
As the president of WorkSmart, Clay Harris spends his days talking to customers, coworkers, and partners to ensure our service and support are world-class.
A native North Carolinian, Clay attended high school in Greensboro and college at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. As the son of two educators, Clay brings an emphasis on constant learning to the WorkSmart culture. Tar Heel hospitality and the drive to help others are at the core of the company’s values:
– Do the Right Thing
– Personal Connections
– Hunger for Growth
Clay has been a driving force at WorkSmart since its inception; he helped found the company while still attending UNC. He attributes the company’s success to the team.
“Our team is smart and hard-working, and they really care passionately about our customers. That makes work fun and rewarding, even on the days that aren’t easy,” he said.
Chief Financial Officer
Colleges & Degrees: Georgia Tech – Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering; Harvard – MBA
Home Town: Madison, Alabama
Family: Becky (wife); Hannah (miniature schnauzer)
How long have you lived in North Carolina? Since 2002
What do you feel are the top three characteristics of an innovative business leader?
- Ability to listen
- Vision to see past and to challenge the current status quo
- Desire to continuously improve (even when you’re best in class)
What’s the least glamorous thing you do in the line of duty? Payroll.
What skill would you most like to improve? Either time management or email management (though those two may be the same thing!).
What do you do to relax? Tennis…though, with my game, it’s not that relaxing.
What is your dream vacation? An extended around-the-world tour stopping for at least 3 weeks in each location.
What music is on your iPod? Most played: Alicia Keyes and a lot of random stuff. I listen to podcasts more than music, though.
What’s your favorite part of a typical day? I probably shouldn’t say buying a pizza from Little Ceasers since it’s walking distance from our new RDU office, should I?
An interesting fact about you is: Went to Space Camp when I was younger.
Founder & Chairman
Ron Unger founded WorkSmart in 2001 and led the team as President until 2017. During his tenure, the company expanded across several states through organic growth and several business acquisitions. In 2017, Ron transitioned to chairman of WorkSmart and remains a major shareholder and advisor to the leadership team.
Ron was elected to the board of Koniag, Inc. in 2004. Koniag is a diversified, technical services firm with 1,200 employees and customers across the energy, healthcare, federal government, and manufacturing sectors. Ron has served as chairman since 2012 and was hired as their CEO in 2017.
Ron graduated from the Georgia Institute of Technology with an engineering degree. He earned an MBA from the Kenan-Flagler Business School at the University of North Carolina and founded WorkSmart from campus.
Ron cherishes his time in Chapel Hill with his wife Fabi and three daughters – Sofia, Stella, and Scarlett. The family can often be found enjoying the outdoors, visiting people and places of the world, and creating music.
- Triangle Business Journal’s Best Places to Work in 2020 and 2019
- Charlotte Business Journal’s Best Places to Work in 2020
- One of the top 500 Managed Service Providers in the World (MSP 501, Channel Futures)
- Triangle Business Journal’s Fast 50 (fastest-growing private companies in the Triangle) in 2020, 2019, and 2016
- 11 consecutive years on the Inc. 5000, which ranks the fastest-growing, privately held companies in America
- Named #3 on the Triangle Business Journal’s Top 10 IT Networking Companies in 2020; named #2 in 2019
- 2020 CAI Ovation Award for HR Excellence
- One of the largest minority-owned businesses (Triangle Business Journal)
- Ranked #8 of the largest, local cloud computing companies by the Triangle Business Journal
CALL US TODAY!
Get quick and reliable support from people you’ll love.